Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 58- July 11

Sally's Day

Today's Art Appreciation was at the Frick Museum (70th Street and 5th Avenue; free admission with Walker Museum membership).

The Frick is sort of a 2 for 1 experience.  The museum was the home of Henry and Adelaide Frick.  He made his money in coal, and built the house is about 1911. He collected art, which he hung throughout the home.  His will provided for the establishment of the museum when Adelaide died, which occurred in 1931.  The museum is a wonderful home to visit. The paintings appear to be hung as they were when it was home. Since they are in a home environment, they do not have descriptions on the wall next to the work. Instead, you receive a tape recorder, and listen to descriptions of each work.   No photos are allowed, so I purchased cards, and took pictures of them. I enjoyed touring the house as much as I enjoyed the art. It is a small museum, but well worth a couple of hours.

The next stop was Purl Soho (459 Broome Street) - a shop in Soho, with yarn and fabric.  It had been recommended by several people, and I was eager to go there.  A very attractive store (they also have a good website).  They have lots of plain fabric and Liberty of London.  I didn't buy anything, but now know what they have.

A more fun store was the Museum of Modern Art Design Store (near Spring and Broadway).  They have lots of jewelry, kitchen utensils, and china.  I kept saying to myself "wish I needed that" "great design."  In the front of the store, they have lots of little things.  Most exciting to me- a variety of key chains $6-$20.  I have been looking for a pretty and sturdy key chain since we got here. Suddenly, I had 5 to choose from.  "MOMA" is engraved on the metal. A great buy- something I needed, good price, well-designed.  I haven't yet been to the MOMA, but have it on my agenda for this week or next.



 Outside of the Frick Museum

Purl Soho quilting and knitting shop

This was my favorite painting at the Frick- a self-portrait of Rambrandt.  The commentary stated that he made himself much taller and larger than he actually was, and also made his hands much larger than his actual hands.  I wonder what parts of myself I would emphasize in a self-portrait.




This bust by Joseph Chinard (1809) looked (to me) a lot like Elvis Presley.  The clerk at the shop said she thought this fellow was much more handsome.

Sally


No comments:

Post a Comment