Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 71- July 23

Company departs, and we prepare to leave

By Al

I still had a wicked sore throat, so I went to the doctor.  It was great that my insurance from Minnesota also covers medical care in New York.  If you really care about how a cold can turn into a bacterial infection that results in an extremely painful sore throat but is not strep throat; give me a call.  Anyway, I got some antibiotics and other pills.  Gregg and Suzie were at the Museum of Natural History while I did this and Sally did her thing.  Their plane left about 6:30 PM is I remember correctly, so we left for the airport about 4:30.  I was good to have them here and sad to see them go.  We were glad to have somebody visit us.  
Sally's Day
It was time to clean up, do laundry, and pack.  While Al went to the airport and doctor,  I did things at home, and shopped for things to take with us to Martha's Vineyard.  I have heard people mention Martha's Vineyard for years- Chappaquiddick, vacations of the rich and/or famous, pretty houses.  It will be fun to actually see some of these things, plus visit with Al's cousin and husband.

I went to Martines and Orwashers to buy food to take with.  Then off to All Souls to serve meals in the evening.


The window of the candy shop.  Lots of awards and praise. Beautiful chocolates.  They also have a shop in Bloomingdales.

It is difficult not to notice the shop- with the bright pink front. Martines is on 82nd Street between 1st and 2nd)



Orwashser's Bakery (358 East 78th Street) is famous for creating raisin pumpernickle bread- which I purchased to take to Martha's Vineyard. I also purchased black and white cookies.  I think the cookies are a New York specialty.  The cookie is a sugar cookie with 1/2 white, and 1/2 chocolate frosting.  They also have bismarks- you choose the filling you want, and then they use a tool that looks like a large caulking gun to fill it with the filling you choose.  It is wonderful to have this great bakery so close to us. Perhaps also dangerous to have all these calories so closeby.

Sally


 

No comments:

Post a Comment