Friday, October 19, 2012

Day 127- September 17

By Al


Today Sally and I walked up to the Museum of the City of New York.  It is located at 103rd and 5th Avenue.  It was a good walk.  The Museum is interesting but unremarkable.  It has a very good film about the history of New York.  I wish there was a book that expanded on the information in the film.  The only comparable book I can find is over 500 pages, which is a bit more than I want.  But, if I cannot find a better book, I might break down and get it.  Anyway, they had an exhibit about the financial industry and about Staten Island.  It was worth going, but I wouldn't put it on a must do list for a visit to New York.

Sally went to  her volunteer work serving the homeless, so I walked home and worked on the blog.  On the way, you see the change from the high rent district along 5th Ave. and Park Avenue.  The Metro North track runs up the middle of Park Avenue and at about 96th it come above ground.  This is were you get the transition to a lower income neighborhood.



On the way we walked by a fire house.  Here is a memorial to firefighters that were killed on 9/11/01.



An arch of the Metro North train trestle at 101st. St.


Looking south along the trestle.


The Islamic Cultural Center of New York.  I walked by it on the way home.  I do like the things that you discover as you walk around New York.


This is what I like about New York.  I was walking down the street and I thought I heard falling water.  I turned a corner and here was a little pocket park with this waterfall.  New York always surprises me.

Sally's Comments

The museum had a display on the history of protest in New York.  The introduction said "New Yorkers have never been known a people who are hesitant to express their opinions." A real understatement.

The exhibit started in early New York and went through Occupy New York.

I enjoyed this section on the garment workers.  Here is a shirtwaist- made famous by the fire at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory.
 
 Here are some pictures of the building, which was more interesting than the exhibits.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment