Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day 129- September 19

Sally's Day

The New York Philharmonic offers free tickets to a dress rehearsal for their opening concert.  This, of course, means standing in another line.  Tickets were handed out at 8 a.m., so I arrived at 7 a.m. with my coffee and little chair.  The performance was at 9:30.  The sponsors were very generous- they went through the line several times with gifts for us- bottles of water, pens, chocolates, and finally a CD of the Philharmonic.

They play Stravinsky's Rite of Spring- a piece with a lot of dissonance.  I had heard of this piece many times, but never heard it performed.  In my brain, I can understand it's significance.  But that does not make it a piece that I enjoyed.

Leif Andsnes, who is a super pianist, played Beethoven Concerto #3- it was great.  They also played a short piece- Kurtag quasi una fantasia- which included harmonicas and drums spread throughout the auditorium.

I took pictures, and when I find them will add them to this post.



By Al

I had a lazy day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment